Sunday, January 6, 2019

Of Kumartuli, Clay And Divinity In Kolkata!

From Jorasanko Thakur Bari, I head towards Kumartuli in an auto rickshaw. It is a short distance away. The auto driver stops at the mouth of a lane off Rabindra Sarani and asks me to enter Kumartuli from that point. 

I have always been fascinated by pictures of clay idols of Durga in the making, and had made it a point to include Kumartuli in my Kolkata itinerary. I had read about this potters' colony in magazines and newspapers. It has also been featured in the Vidya Balan starrer "Kahaani" (2012). The stunning idols of Durga that people adore and venerate during Durga Puja are created in the lanes and bylanes of this modest neighbourhood. 

I have been wondering what I will get to see here in the month of December. Durga Puja got over just a couple of months ago and it is too early to start making Durga idols for the next year. I so want to see the potters in action! As I start walking in the lane flanked by small studios on both sides, to my utter delight I notice forms of Goddess Saraswati, complete with her veena and swan being shaped in clay. I realise they are being made for Saraswati Puja which is celebrated in Bengal on Vasant Panchami. I thank my luck for the good timing and set out to explore further. 

There are some men sitting outside what looks like a small shop, and just to make sure that I don't get lost in the labyrinthine alleys I ask them in Hindi --if I want to come back to this point should I ask for Rabindra Sarani? One of them replies enthusiastically--Didi, Rabindra Sarani nei, tram rasta bolben. I smile and thank him for this useful tip. Yes, this is a tram route alright. With buoyed confidence because of my small headway in local parlance, and eager anticipation I walk ahead.

Hundreds of potters and their families live and work in this congested area. The studios are rather small and a lot of unfinished work is lying outside in the lanes. The inner frame of the idol is made with straw, and several forms of the Goddess at this stage are just bodies of straw in different sizes. The idols that are in more advanced stages of making have the straw covered with clay. Saraswati--sitting with her customary poise, a veena resting in her lap and a graceful swan at her feet--is taking shape. Many of them are headless. But several of them are complete with a head too! The round face is adorned with exquisite fish-like eyes, and it looks radiant even in a raw state. Kudos to the nimble fingers of the artisans who create divinity with clay in these humble surroundings.

As I go deeper in the bylanes, I notice other figures too. There she is as Durga with multiple arms and perched on a tiger, while elsewhere, as Kali she is ferocious with her tongue sticking out, and Shiva at her feet. What stands out in all these is the beautiful expressive face. And perfect proportions. Nothing is out of place. Everything exists in a harmonious balance. I can only imagine how magnificent they will look when their faces are painted, and when their saree and jewellery are in place.



Photos by Lata
I am surprised to see how unobtrusive and welcoming the artisans are. They go about their work without questioning my presence in their midst. And I am not the only one. There is a young visitor taking pictures with a sophisticated camera. Then there is a foreigner with an Indian guide who is relating mythological stories about these figures to her. There is another guest who is watching a potter and singing to him as the latter is busy at work. Kumartuli is also a popular destination for organised walks.

In spite of the abysmal conditions, people are friendly and lively. Children playing in the lanes, elders sitting outside their homes soaking in the sun, and potters chatting with neighbours and fellow potters during a break. They have put me completely at ease with their disarming smiles and easy manner. Filled with admiration for their art and their spirited way of life, I walk back to the point from where I had started. It is not difficult and I make it to the place without having to ask for tram rasta!

2 comments:

  1. Lata,
    The description of Kumartuli is wonderful & very realistic. I liked it & enjoyed while reading the write-up.
    Now waiting for many more such blogs from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, one more post has followed with several photos taken in Kolkata.

      Delete